Last week the trustees of the International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention elected Pastor David Platt to take over the reigns of what is arguably our most important organization. As he takes over this enormous responsibility I would like to suggest a few ways that every Southern Baptist can help to make this a smooth and effective transition.
- Pray for David Platt and his family – I think that this goes with out saying but yet it stills needs said. The truth of the matter is that we all know that we need to pray for Dr. Platt and his family but I would like to urge us all to actually do it. Let’s bath him and his family in constant prayer for the next 30 days.
- Pray for our missionaries around the world– once again this goes without saying but it still needs said. Our missionaries are on the front line Kingdom work. They labor in dangerous and difficult places. They need our prayer’s every single day.
- Commit/Recommit ourselves to the cooperative program giving– if you’re not Southern Baptist you might not know what I mean but Cooperative program is the one of the ways Southern Baptists fund our missions work. Over the past several years we have been watching the average percentage that churches give to Cooperative program steadily decline. I would like to challenge every Pastor in every Southern Baptist Church to lead their church to increase the amount they give to CP next year, even if it means having to make sacrifices in other areas such as salaries or upgrades to equipment and buildings.
- Get prepared for Lottie Moon and make it the best year ever– The truth of the matter is that the IMB has had to turn down missionaries because of the lack of funds. Let’s make sure that doesn’t happen this year.
- Agree that God is sovereign and that David Platt is God’s man to lead IMB – There are a lot of people in the SBC who might have made good leaders for the IMB but the simple truth is that they weren’t elected. God is sovereign and David Platt is the man for the job so let’s all agree to give him our full support and to work together to fulfill the mission of taking the gospel to every tribe, nation and tongue.